If your task seems too big or overwhelming, break it down into a series of smaller, more achievable, tasks or steps that you have to take in order to complete the task. For example, for a big essay, the small steps might be:
- Step 1 - Decide on a topic
- Step 2 - Find 10 relevant articles
- Step 3 - Read and summarise each article
- Step 4 - Plan the structure of your essay
- Step 5 - Write the introduction
- Step 6 - Write 200 words of the main body
- Step 7 - Review what you’ve done and check you’re on the right track
- Step 8 - Write another 200 words and so on.
Concentrate on taking the first step, then the next until you complete the full journey. Sometimes you might need a lot of steps, other times, only a few.
This is only an example. Please contact a skills adviser (The Hub / Student Link) for more specific advice on breaking down assessment tasks.