Students to be included in the NSS are selected by the Higher Education Statistics Authority (HESA) through an automated process which identifies final year undergraduates. It may include part-time students who are not exiting from their course.
It generally excludes the following groups of students:
- those studying at postgraduate or further education level
- those included in the NSS in the previous year, whether or not they responded
- incoming or exchange students
- those studying wholly overseas
- those whose expected completion is not in the survey year
- those on a short course, or whose HE experience is less than one year
Eligible students are contacted through their student email address therefore it is important that students check this email account regularly or set up a rule to forward emails on to their own personal email account. Emails will be sent from Ipsos MORI in January.
Students are able to opt out of the survey if they desire but there are many benefits to having your say and helping to shape the education of others.