Skip course menu sidebar

Find a course

A-Z Undergraduate courses A-Z Postgraduate & post-experience courses

Recently viewed

International Student Working with Computers in the UK | UWS | University of the West of Scotland

Working in the UK

Combining work with your studies can be a great way to enhance your career, improve your English, fund your studies and meet new friends.

If you are an international student, there are some important things to consider if you plan to work while studying at UWS.


Work conditions for non-EU students

The UKCISA website provides comprehensive information on the work conditions attached to Tier 4 Student visas. This includes the number of hours permissible to work and the types of work allowed.

Apply for a National Insurance number

If you would like the work in the UK, you will need a National Insurance (NI) number. This is a number unique to you that records the National Insurance and income tax contributions you make while working in the UK.

The UKCISA website provides comprehensive information and guidance on the NI application process.


Many courses at UWS involve assessed internships or work placements. International students may only undertake an internship if it is a mandatory assessed element of their studies. If an internship does not meet this criteria then Tier 4 Student visa work restrictions apply.

Careers & Skills

There are plenty of career-development opportunities available to UWS students. Whether you're looking for a part-time job to help fund your studies, a work placement to boost your CV, or advice on landing your first graduate job, UWS's Careers & Employability Service are here to help.

Find out more about developing your career at UWS

Non-EU students working after completion of studies

Whether you can work in the UK after your studies, and in what capacity, depends on the visa you apply for (Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa, Tier 2 Visa, Doctorate Extension Scheme, etc.).

The UKCISA website and the UK Government website provide information about relevant work schemes and visa eligibility.

You can also find more information in the Immigration and Visas section.

Last updated: 10/01/2018