Skip course menu sidebar

Find a course

A-Z Undergraduate courses A-Z Postgraduate & post-experience taught courses

Recently viewed

Prospective Student Reading Immigration and Visa Information | University of the West of Scotland

Prospective students

Immigration and visa information

If you are planning to study at UWS and you are Non-EU national or a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland (excluding Irish nationals), you may need to apply for a Student visa in order to enter the UK. There are also a number of important immigration considerations to take into account before making arrangements to travel to the UK.

Information for Prospective Students
International Student Reading Immigration & Visa Information | University of the West of Scotland

Current students

Immigration and visa information

International students currently studying at UWS may need to apply for a Student visa (which replaces the Tier 4 visa) in certain circumstances. There are also a number of important immigration rules and regulations to be aware of while living in the UK as a Tier 4 / Student visa holder.

Information for Current Students

Scottish Campuses CAS Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Click the link below to download important information regarding what you need for your CAS.

CAS Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Technology Approval Scheme

In order to study in the UK, international students undertaking certain courses of study may need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate in addition to their Student visa.

You may need an ATAS certificate if you are an international student and you're studying:

  • as an undergraduate student
  • a taught masters
  • a research masters at PhD/doctoral level
  • and applying for an extension to stay for the sole purpose of writing up your thesis (if your visa was issued after 30 November 2007) as a visiting research student
  • an enhanced MEng undergraduate degree

The UK Government website provides comprehensive information about when an ATAS certificate is required along with application guidelines.

The information provided here by the University is just guidance. Immigration laws change frequently, so for the most up-to-date visa information, we recommend that you visit the UK Government website for visa information.

International Student Advisers

UWS’s team of International Student Advisers (ISAs) are authorised by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) to provide Level 1 immigration advice to our international students.

ISAs can advise on matters such as:

  • Applying for a student visa including eligibility and financial requirements
  • Protecting Tier 4 / Student visa status
  • Bringing dependents to the UK
  • Working during your studies
  • Working after your studies including the Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES) and the Start up visa



Find out more about latest events including visa workshops:

Latest events (including visa workshops)


For further information on travel, immigration and international student support, please visit the:

International Student Support MyDay tile


Alternatively, the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website is an invaluable source of information and advice for international students.


Last updated: 08/04/2021