Search the site


Find a course

A-Z Undergraduate courses A-Z Postgraduate courses

Recently viewed


Immigration & visa information for current students

Making a Tier 4 Student visa application in the UK

If you are an international student currently studying in the UK at the University of the West of Scotland, there are several reasons why you may need to make a Tier 4 visa application while in the UK:

  • You are progressing to a new course of study
  • You need more time because of re-sits or repeating part of your course
  • You need more time to complete your PhD
  • You wish to work under the Doctorate Extension Scheme, as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer or as a Doctor or Dentist in training

This should be done before your current visa has expired.

If you are applying for a new course that begins less than 28 days after the expiry date of your current visa, then you can do so from the UK. If there are more than 28 days between the expiry of your current visa and your new course starting then you must apply from your home country.

The UKCISA website provides comprehensive information on eligibility and requirements for applying for a Tier 4 visa while in the UK.

The information provided here by the University is just guidance. Immigration laws change frequently, for the most up-to-date visa information, we recommend that you visit the UK Government website.

Tier 4 Student visa guide

University of the West of Scotland PDF Download Icon | UWS

Read our Visa Guide for step-by-step information on applying for a Tier 4 Student visa in the UK.

Download Guide (PDF)

Travel Advice for Tier 4 student visa holders

University of the West of Scotland PDF Download Icon | UWS

As a Tier 4 Student visa holder, your priority while you are in the UK is to study on the course that your visa has been granted for. However, it is also a great opportunity to travel around the UK, Europe or beyond during the official university vacation periods.

Download Guide (PDF)

Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES) for PhD Students

University of the West of Scotland PDF Download Icon | UWS

The Doctorate Extension Scheme is a sponsored scheme aimed at PhD students (or equivalent) who are nearing completion of their doctorate award. By applying for this immigration permission, PhD graduates are given an extra 12 months to look for and start work in the UK.

Download Guide (PDF)

Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Scheme

University of the West of Scotland PDF Download Icon | UWS

The Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Scheme is aimed at recent graduates who have ‘genuine and credible business ideas and entrepreneurial skills’. By applying for this immigration permission, recent graduates intend to put into practice their business ideas and UWS is one of the endorsing institutions for this visa.

Download Guide (PDF)

Visits from Relatives

While studying in the UK, you may want to invite your relatives to visit you for a holiday or to attend your graduation ceremony. Non-EEA nationals may need to apply to the British Embassy in their home country for a visa to travel to the UK.

Details of British Embassies overseas can be found on the UK Government website - select your home country from the list.

UWS can provide you with a letter confirming your immigration and student status which your relatives can submit to the British Embassy when applying for a visa.

In addition to the support letter you should send the following documents to your relatives:

  • A photocopy of your passport photo page and current visa page/Biometric Residence Permit
  • Letter from you (the student) confirming the following information about the visa applicants:
    • Full names (as on the person's passport)
    • Date of birth (as on the person's passport)
    • Reason for visit
    • Date of arrival
    • Length of stay
    • Where they will live during their stay
    • If you are living in privately rented accommodation and your relatives will stay there with you, a photocopy of your tenancy agreement or contract
    • If you will be supporting your visitors financially during their stay, your bank statements showing funds

If you are living in UWS accommodation you are not allowed to have live-in guests. If your family want to visit you here you must make private arrangements for their accommodation.

Working in the UK

Combining work with your studies can be a great way to enhance your career, improve your English, and meet new friends. If you are an international student, there are work conditions attached to the Tier 4 visa of which you must be aware.

Find out more about working in the UK

International Student Advisors

UWS’s team of International Student Advisers (ISAs) are authorised by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) to provide Level 1 immigration advice to our international students.

Contact our International Student Advisors


Last updated: 08/08/2017