What qualifications do you need?
A first degree, or equivalent, in an appropriate discipline from CNAA, a UK university or equivalent institution.
Direct entry to the MSc will require you to have completed a PG Diploma in an appropriate discipline or equivalent. Entry to the postgraduate course (other than Masters direct) may be open if you have an HND or DipHE award in an appropriate discipline, or a professional qualification accepted as of equivalent status and usually at least three years’ relevant experience.
If you are without formal qualifications and possess extensive professional experience you may also be admitted to the course. You may also be considered with other academic, vocational or professional qualifications deemed to be equivalent.
Our course is available to EU and overseas students (full-time only).
If you are an overseas student then you must also meet UWS English language.
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level. The qualifications below must have been gained within two years of the start of your course.
General English language requirements at UWS: International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training)
- overall score 6.0
- no sub-test less than 5.5
Equivalent scores in another recognised qualification:
Common equivalent English language qualifications
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII with the minimum of a Pass in all sub-tests
IELTS Score Exceptions
For our research degrees (MRes, MPhil, PhD, DBA, DProf), applicants are required to have an IELTS score as follows:
- overall score of 6.5
- no sub-test less than 6.0
For Health, Nursing & Midwifery courses that lead to professional registration with the Nursing & Midwifery Council, applicants are required to have an IELTS score as follows:
- overall score of 7.0
- no sub-test less than 7.0
For our Certificate of Higher Education courses, applicants are required to have an IELTS score as follows:
- overall score of 5.0
- no sub-test less than 4.5
Applicants who do not meet the minimum English language requirements have the option to study one of our preparatory and pre-sessional English courses. The UWS courses available are:
- 10 week pre-sessional - entry criteria UKVI IELTS 5.0 with no element below 4.5.
- 5 week pre-sessional - entry criteria UKVI IELTS 5.5 with no element below 5.5.
- English Language for University Study - entry criteria UKVI IELTS with score of 4.0 in all elements (10 month course), or 4.5 with no score below 4.0 (7 month course).