Search the site


Find a course

A-Z Undergraduate courses A-Z Postgraduate courses

Recently viewed


Funding for EU Students

EU students studying at postgraduate level at UWS are entitled to various funds and support towards tuition fees and living costs.

PGDE students are funded through the undergraduate funding system. Further information can be found in the undergraduate fees and funding webpages.

Postgraduate Social Work courses fall under the remit of the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) who decide the level of funding available and which students can access that funding. Students cannot apply to SAAS as an alternative source of funding if they are unsuccessful in gaining funding from the SSSC.

Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)

From 2017-18, SAAS will provide funding for taught postgraduate studies up to Masters level as long as you have not already used UK or EU funds to study at this level.

You can find out more about how the SAAS tuition fee loan works, including eligibility and repayment, on the SAAS website.

Full-time students

If you are a full-time student on a one year taught postgraduate course, you can apply to SAAS for a tuition fee loan worth up to £5,500.

Part-time students

If you are a part-time student undertaking an eligible course over two years can apply for a tuition fee loan of up to £2,750 per year.

How to apply

Applications for this funding open in April each year and are made through the SAAS website.

Alternative sources of funding

There are lots of alternative sources of funding, like charities and trusts, that can help finance your postgraduate studies. These can include grants that can pay tuition fees, living cost support and funding for research expenses.

The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding is a web resource that UWS subscribe to, making it free for our students and prospective students to use. It includes a funding database of over 600 charities and trusts, and access comprehensive guidance on how to produce a high-quality application.

  • Accessing this guide from a campus PC? You can automatically log in without creating an account.
  • Already have a UWS email account? You can create an account in less than 30 seconds.
  • Are you a prospective student? We understand you won’t be able to access our campus PCs nor will you have a UWS email address. Simply email the Funding and Advice Team at, and we will send you a PIN to access this resource.

Childcare funds

EU students may be eligible for a range of UWS administered childcare funds that provide financial support for those who need it the most.


Find out more about childcare


As an EU student, you will not receive funding to support your cost of living so should carefully consider how you will meet these costs during your studies.

Please visit our money advice pages for information on how you can make your money go further. This includes information on housing, food, banking and lifestyle choices.


If you have any questions about the funding you might be eligible for, please do not hesitate to contact our Funding and Advice Team.

Last updated: 11/10/2017

Latest Tweets

Funding and Advice
3 hours ago

Thinking of renting your own place? Check out trusted advice to help you work out how much rent you can afford, and…

Funding and Advice
4 hours ago

Thinking of renting your own place? Check out trusted advice to help you work out how much rent you can afford, and…

Funding and Advice
6 hours ago

Want to make sure your household budgeting is on track? Check out UWS Budgeting Module;…