Council Tax Exemption
You can apply for a council tax exemption if you are a full-time student and you are living on your own or with other students.
To count as a full-time student, your course must:
- last at least 24 weeks, AND
- involve at least 21 hours of study per week
If you live in a property where all residents are students, you will all need to provide this proof for a full exemption.
If you are living with a spouse or partner, they will still be liable for council tax, meaning you cannot claim a full exemption, but your student status should allow you to claim a discount.
Qualifying conditions will be verified by the Council and you will be awarded council tax exemption if you meet their conditions.
How to apply for Council Tax exemption
Council Tax is set by local authorities to pay for services such as schools, roads and refuse collection. Apply for Council Tax exemption if you are a full-time student and live on your own or with other students.
Before you apply for Council Tax exemption, you will need to have a note of your landlord’s registration number. You also need to confirm your previous address.
NB: your User ID is your Student Identification Number which is also known as your UWS Banner number. This field is case sensitive so you need to enter an uppercase letter ‘B’ e.g. (B12345678).
- From the main menu, select 'Student' and then select 'Council Tax'.
- Select the council for the area that you live in, eg, 'Renfrewshire Council'. Note that the remainder of the process varies depending on which council area you live in. For Renfrewshire, Glasgow City, East Ayrshire, North Ayrshire, South Ayrshire, North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire Councils, your request will be passed electronically to the council on your behalf. For all other council areas, you'll receive an e-mail into your student e-mail account with a supporting letter that you should then provide to the council.
- Follow the process as instructed online. If you live in the Renfrewshire Council area, you need to create a ‘MyGov’ account if you don't already have one. Follow the on-screen instructions and complete each section as indicated. Once you have created your MyGov account, you will be automatically directed back to the Renfrewshire Council website. Again, follow the process as instructed to submit your application.