Skip course menu sidebar

Find a course

A-Z Undergraduate courses A-Z Postgraduate courses

Recently viewed

Council Tax Exemption

You can apply for a council tax exemption if you are a full-time student and you are living on your own or with other students.

To count as a full-time student, your course must:

  • last at least 24 weeks, AND
  • involve at least 21 hours of study per week

If you live in a property where all residents are students, you will all need to provide this proof for a full exemption.

If you are living with a spouse or partner, they will still be liable for council tax, meaning you cannot claim a full exemption, but your student status should allow you to claim a discount.

Qualifying conditions will be verified by the Council and you will be awarded council tax exemption if you meet their conditions.

How to Apply

Log in to Self Service Banner and go to the Student section, Council Tax Exemption Request, and choose the appropriate council from the drop-down list.

For Renfrewshire, Glasgow City, East Ayrshire, North Ayrshire, South Ayrshire, North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire Councils, your request will be passed electronically to the council on your behalf. For all other council areas, you will be able to collect your status letter from the Hub or Student Link on your campus and submit this with your application.

Last updated: 28/08/2017