International Postgraduate Application Guide
Applying to study a postgraduate taught course at University of the West of Scotland is a simple process through our online application system.
Before you begin your application, it is important to read our step-by-step guide for a smooth and stress-free process.
Step 1: Choose a course
Decide which course you would like to study at UWS, making sure that it is the appropriate level of study for you.
Find your course of interest from our career-focused undergraduate, postgraduate (taught) and post-experience options.
Step 2: Entry requirements
Make sure that your academic qualifications and English language levels meet the requirements for your chosen course. Please note that you must be able to provide copies of your degree certificate(s) and academic transcript(s) in English.
Step 3: Documents
Ensure that you have copies of all the documents required for your application. These include:
- Degree certificate(s) in English
- Academic transcript(s) in English
- English language proficiency test certificates
- A signed academic reference on headed paper
- Proof of funding (if required)
- Visa/CAS statement (if held)
Step 4: Personal statement
You are required to submit a personal statement as part of the UWS postgraduate taught application process. This is to demonstrate your motivation to study your chosen course at UWS. Points that you should cover in your personal statement include:
- Why UWS? Why a specific campus? Which other institutions did you consider?
- Why did you choose this course? Did you consider any other courses?
- How does the course content align with your career plans?
- Is this course offered in your home country? If so, why have you decided to study abroad? Why have you chosen the UK, and what are the benefits of studying here rather than your home country?
- If you have had a long break in studies, why are you returning now?
- What are your post-study plans?
Step 7: Application processing
After you submit your application, we will send you an email confirming that we have received your application. You will also be given log-in details for the system so that you can track your application.
Step 8: Decision time
Once your application has been processed, we will contact you by email to confirm if it has been successful. This will include guidance on how to accept an offer and fee payment if required.
The Admissions team will make one of the following decisions:
- Unconditional offer: if you already meet the necessary entry requirements
- Conditional offer: if you have not met the necessary entry requirements, your offer will contain details of the conditions you are required to meet for an unconditional offer to be made
- Unsuccessful: if you are not considered to be suitably qualified
The UWS Admissions Policy has been developed to provide transparency in the admissions processes and practices of University of the West of Scotland, ensuring that a quality service is given to all applicants.
Our priority for admissions is to match prospective students with the programme of study that best meets their needs, whilst ensuring that our institutional strategic objectives are met. We are committed to ensuring that our approach to the admissions of students is transparent, fair, honest, consistent, accessible, personalised and timely.