Applying for postgraduate research study at UWS has never been simpler
We are delighted that you are considering applying to study at the University of the West of Scotland.
Here you can find more information about:
- Postgraduate Research step-by-step guide – everything you need to know to submit a successful application
- Entry requirements – where to find the entry requirements for individual courses
- English language requirements and English language courses – if you’re not a native speaker of English, this section sets out the English language requirements and support to meet them
If you are ordinarily resident outside the UK you might find our step-by-step guide for international students useful.
Explore your postgraduate research options below
English Language Requirements
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level. The qualifications below must have been gained within two years of the start of your course.
General English language requirements at UWS: International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training)
For our research degrees (MRes, MPhil, PhD, DBA, DProf), applicants are required to have an IELTS score as follows:
- overall score of 6.5
- no sub-test less than 6.0
Equivalent scores in another recognised qualification:
Common equivalent English language qualifications
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII with the minimum of a Pass in all sub-tests