UK STANDARD ACADEMIC ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
While each course has its own specific entry requirements listed on all course pages, there are also standard minimum academic requirements for admission onto any undergraduate degree course.
Applicants are expected to hold the following qualifications or equivalent as a minimum.
Literacy & Numeracy
All applicants are expected to demonstrate good levels of literacy and numeracy, holding passes in English and Mathematics at the following levels:
- Scottish National 5 (grades A, B or C)
- Scottish Standard Grade (grades 1, 2 or 3)
- Scottish Intermediate 2 (grades A, B or C)
- GCSE (A, B or C)
- Irish Leaving Certificate Ordinary level (grade C2 or higher)
- Passes in at least five subjects including at least three Scottish Highers (grade C or higher).
We are happy to consider other alternative combinations of qualifications and experience, including:
- International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Scottish Baccalaureate / Professional Baccalaureate / Welsh Baccalaureate (Advanced Diploma)
In addition to the qualifications listed above, UWS will consider a range of factors when assessing your application.
SCOTTISH WIDER ACCESS PROGRAMME (SWAP)
We are committed to widening access to education and are active participants in the Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP).
SWAP is designed for adult learners who have few or no academic qualifications but who have the ability to study to degree level.
By undertaking a one-year, full-time SWAP course candidates gain the qualifications for entry onto undergraduate programmes at UWS.
Many of our undergraduate courses include SWAP criteria as part of their entry requirements.
To find out how SWAP could help you to become a UWS student please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone our course enquiries team at 0800 027 1000 or +44 (0)141 849 4101.
English, Welsh and Northern Irish qualifications
- Passes in at least five subjects including at least two passes at GCE Advanced Level (grade C or higher)
- Irish Leaving Certificate with passes in at least three subjects at Higher level (grade H4/C or highers
For some courses advanced entry (entry into year 2 or 3) is possible.
Candidates with a combination of Highers and Advanced Highers / AS level and A levels (or equivalent qualifications) are encouraged to consider advanced entry into year 2.
Candidates who have achieved a Higher National Certificate (HNC) or a Higher National Diploma (HND) (from bodies such as SQA and BTEC etc.) are encouraged to consider advanced entry into year 2 or 3 respectively.
The academic requirements for individual courses accepting advanced entry will be listed on the course page.