What is Widening Participation?
At UWS widening participation has always been central to our institution. We believe in supporting and enabling students to achieve their potential regardless of their background.
Widening participation addresses patterns of under-representation in higher education. It is also part of a governmental education policy in Scotland and the UK. Widening Participation attempts to increase the proportion of young people entering higher education, from under-represented groups. UWS works with prospective students from groups that are currently under-represented, including students:
- From low income backgrounds and low socioeconomic groups
- Who are the first in their generation to consider higher education
- Who attend schools and colleges where performance is below the national average, this includes FOCUS West or SHEP schools.
- Who are care experienced
- Who are young carers
- Who are estranged from their families
- From under-represented ethnic backgrounds