UWS is committed to providing the highest level of service for its students and members of the public who may have contact with the University. However, the University recognises that, on occasion, issues or concerns may be raised by students or members of the public.

If you have an issue, concern or problem you are encouraged to raise it with the School or Professional Service area in which the issue arose. The purpose of this frontline resolution is to attempt to resolve your problem as quickly as possible. However if after trying to resolve the problem you are still not satisfied, then you can submit a complaint. 

Prospective Student Researching UWS CPD Short Courses & Modules | University of the West of Scotland

COVID-19 Update

During these unprecedented times, the University continues to handle complaints. However, these may take longer to deal with than usual due to resource implications. Therefore, some flexibility on the deadlines may be expected.

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) is the governing body for complaints in Scotland. SPSO have issued their guidance regarding the handling of complaints during this time which the University is following.

We appreciate your support and understanding at this challenging time.

Scottish Public Sector Ombudsman (SPSO) Covid-19 Update
UWS Student Pondering Potential New Course Developments | University of the West of Scotland

Equality, Diversity & Inclusion

At UWS we’re committed to promoting equality and diversity in everything we do. As an inclusive university we extend our commitment to everyone – regardless of background or protected characteristics such as age, disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, ethnicity, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.

We respect and welcome diversity and do not tolerate exclusion, harassment or victimisation in any form.

The above is reflected throughout the UWS Complaints Handling Procedure.

More on Equality, Diversity & Inclusion

How to Make a Complaint

The University endeavours to operate with integrity, diligence and to act in line with all relevant laws and regulations, but recognises that it may occasionally fail to meet the high standards which it expects, and which it may be reasonably expected by others, to achieve.

The University has therefore established procedures through which concerns can be raised and acted upon.

Raising Concerns

The University has established procedures that enable you to raise concerns which may include, inadequate level of service, reports of bribery, research misconduct etc.

UWS Raising Concerns Procedures (pdf)

Complaints by Students and Members of the Public

Individuals, other than members of staff, who believe that they have been subjected to an inadequate level of service, mistreatment or mal-administration by the University are encouraged in the first instance to raise the matter with the School or Professional Service area involved in order to address the situation.

Where this does not result in a satisfactory resolution for the complainant, the matter can be progressed via the University’s Complaints Handling Procedure.

UWS Complaints Handling Procedure

Separate arrangements are in place for students wishing to appeal academic assessments or disciplinary matters.


Concerns relating to matters falling within the scope of the Accountability Code of Practice should be reported to the University Secretary, the University Solicitor or the Head of Internal Audit Service, directly or through the general e-mail address at

Student Reading Disability Support Available at UWS | University of the West of Scotland

Academic Appeals

What is a student appeal?

A student appeal is defined as a request to review a decision of an academic body charged with making decisions on student engagement, assessment, progression, awards and student disciplinary cases.

Please note that separate arrangements are in place for students wishing to appeal academic assessments or disciplinary matters.

Academic Appeals & Extenuating Circumstances
Two students looking at mobile device

Complaints About The Students' Union

The UWS Students' Union has a separate complaints procedure which sets out how you can make a complaint about the Students' Union. If there are any complaints and concerns about the Students' Union, these should be emailed to:

Complaints Performance Information

The University reports on its complaints handling performance annually in line with statutory requirements. This includes performance statistics showing the volume and type of complaints and key performance details, for example on the time taken and the stage at which complaints were resolved.

Last updated: 23/03/2021