Things Not Going Well?

There are many ways in which the University can help you get the most out of your student experience. If you feel things aren’t going well, either with your course or within your personal life, please talk to us for advice and support.

Course Related

If you’re experiencing any difficulties with your course, we are here to help. Your Personal Tutor is an excellent point of contact for any queries or concerns you might have. They can advise you of your options and explain the different support services available to you. You can find the name of your Personal Tutor by logging in to Self Service Banner and clicking on ‘View your personal tutor’ within the Student menu.

Missed classes?

If you’ve missed any of your classes, the important thing is to make contact with your Lecturer or Programme Leader. They can give you advice about how to catch up or put you in touch with our student support services if your personal circumstances are making it difficult for you to attend.

It’s especially important to reply to any emails you receive about your non-attendance at classes to prevent being withdrawn from your module by the University engagement panels.

Whatever the reason for your absence, we are here to help you get back on track.

Study pressures?

Remember that your Lecturers are here to help you with your studies so, if you find yourself struggling with any of your modules or coursework assignments, please speak to them. They will be able to clarify what’s required and make suggestions to help you.

You can also speak to your Personal Tutor or visit our Study Skills page for additional support.

The University recognises that, from time to time, you may encounter issues which may prevent you from being able to submit or undertake an assessment. Where this is the case, you can submit an Extenuating Circumstances Statement (ECS) for consideration. You can find out more about this process on the Academic Appeals and Extenuating Circumstances page.


Whether you have resits or reassessments as a result of extenuating circumstances, or because things didn't go well first time around, it's important to prepare yourself so you have the best possible chance to get a good result. Check the Moodle page for your module to find any information relating to the resits, including revision sessions that may be running within your School and speak to your Lecturer for feedback on your original assessment to identify the areas you want to focus on. Your Personal Tutor is also available to discuss any concerns you may have.

Carrying resits into your next academic year

You may be able to carry forward some outstanding resits but this depends on your level of study and how much you have to carry forward. You can talk to your personal tutor or course leader about this, but you should think carefully about how you would cope with undertaking more than the standard 6 modules in an academic year. If you struggled before, you might want to avoid any additional pressure and consider taking time out to complete your outstanding modules before progressing to your next level of study.

In terms of student funding, you generally would not be eligible for any additional financial support as a result of this, nor would you have any further tuition fee to pay to undertake a resit.

Taking time out to do resits

If you can’t progress with your outstanding resits, or would prefer not to carry them with you into your next level of study, there are various options available that would allow you to complete your modules before progressing. It is important that you consider any financial implications as you may not be eligible for student funding, or the student funding you are eligible for may be different to what you are used to.

SAAS funded undergraduate students should read our guide to Understanding your SAAS funding if you need to repeat a period of study (PDF).

Undergraduate students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland may be able to appeal to their funding body for an additional year of funding on the basis on compelling personal reasons.

International Students should discuss this with their School and/or the International Student Support Team as this may have an impact on their visa.

Changing your course?

Your Personal Tutor can provide advice about the options available to you for changing your course. The Programme Leader of your current course will also be able to provide advice about these options. If the courses are related, you may even be able to transfer credits from the modules you’ve already completed.

Changing your course may affect the career options you can access as a graduate after finishing your studies. The Careers Team can advise you on the implications that changing your course may have for your future career, and support you in deciding which path is best for you.  

You can book an appointment with a Careers Adviser via the Appointments Calendar in the Online Careers & Skills Centre.

Thinking of leaving?

If you are thinking of leaving your course, the first thing you should do is talk to someone about why you feel this way. If you are struggling, either academically or with personal issues, you might find that there is help available. Talk to your personal tutor. They can often refer you to the many support services available at UWS.

If you do decide to withdraw, speak to your Course Leader and complete a Withdrawal Form. Your date of withdrawal is normally the last date of engagement with your studies.

Leaving your course and/or university may have an impact on your future career by limiting the opportunities you can access in the job market. Getting in touch with the Careers Team will help you understand what these implications may be, as well as to plan your next career steps after UWS.

You can book an appointment with a Careers Adviser via the Appointments Calendar in the Online Careers & Skills Centre.


Please note that, if you withdraw from your course during an academic year, this may affect your funding and you may become liable to pay pro rata charges for the weeks you have attended. Further information can be found on the Pro Rata Charges page. To understand any impact on funding, read our Thinking about Leaving You Course Guidance (PDF).

Taking a break?

If you wish to apply for an extended break from your course for medical or personal reasons, please speak to your Personal Tutor about interrupted study and the options that may be available to you. You may be asked to provide evidence to support your application. Rather than leaving your course, this option allows you to take some time out to deal with any medical or personal reasons that may be affecting your studies before returning when you feel ready.

Taking time out can affect your entitlement to funding so read our guide to interruption your studies and how this can impact funding (PDF).

The funding rules for Pre. Registration Nursing and Midwifery Students are different as you can often have periods of interruption where you maintain your bursary. Your Personal Tutor can advise and the School manage this process with SAAS.

Mental Health/Personal Life

When you’re facing difficulties in your personal life, it can be difficult to focus on your studies and achieve your best. If you’re finding it difficult to cope or you’re experiencing issues that are affecting your personal well-being, please speak to us for help and support.

The Student Services team offer a range of services that can help you with any concerns you have.

Counselling service

Our free, confidential counselling service is available to all UWS students. We are welcoming, non-judgemental and able to offer a range of options to help you.

Multifaith chaplaincy

The multifaith chaplaincy team will listen to you in confidence and offer one-to-one support for any personal issues you wish to discuss. We work with students and staff from all faith and belief backgrounds.

Money advice

The Funding and Advice team are here to support you with information and advice from student funding options to budgeting and managing your money. For more information on managing your money so it doesn't add to the pressures of studying, visit our Money and Debt Advice section.

We have a team of specialist advisers who can help with more complex student funding enquiries, such as repeating years or getting back on track if things go wrong and the impact this can have on student funding. You can read about this in the sections above and can book an appointment with an Adviser through the Hub or Student Link on your campus.

International student support

The International Student Support team provide information, assistance and advice to both EU and non-EU students at UWS on matters including visas, finances, travel and visits from relatives.

Disability service

The Disability Service offers a range of guidance and support to students who have a disability, long-standing medical condition or specific learning difficulty.


Handle feelings of stress or anxiety. SilverCloud gives you secure, immediate access to interactive CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) modules.

Modules include Understanding Feelings, Facing your Fears and Managing Worry.

It’s easy to use and designed to be motivational. Access it anywhere on your computer, tablet or mobile.

Learn more & sign up online

Support from external organisations

In addition to the range of support offered within UWS, there are many other external organisations willing to listen and offer confidential help:

Last updated: 21/05/2021